PHM Canada fully supports the PHM campaign for the release of Dora María Téllez and the other prisoners of conscience in Nicaragua.
The PHM article outlining the campaign can be found here.
We are asking members of our organization and allies to share the link above and their stories widely in the hopes that our campaign will be successful in promoting their safe release.
This campaign for the release of Dora María Téllez and the other prisoners of conscience has three goals:
- The immediate release of Dora María Téllez and the more than 200 other prisoners of conscience in Nicaragua.
- The return to action of the non-governmental organizations that have been forced to close; most of the NGOs promote health, as they focus on key determinants of health such as housing, food supply, sanitation, women’s status, education, and building democracy.
- Financial support of the families of the prisoners until they are released, enough to bring supplemental food to the prisoners and replace lost income.
We appeal to all compassionate persons, those who care about human rights and democracy, and who are outraged by the imprisonment of Dora María Téllez and her fellow prisoners of conscience—Join us in various activities and suggest other actions:
Join us in raising public awareness:
- Write to your country’s representatives asking them to publicly condemn the imprisonment of Dora Maria Tellez and other prisoners of conscience in Nicaragua and asking them to advocate for actions to pressure the Ortega-Murillo government to release them.
- Write opinion pieces in blogs and local news outlets. Keep up to date at the Nica Family Support Facebook page. Subscribe to the Nica Family Support mailing list.
Join us in helping raise funds:
- Help raise funds for families of Nicaraguan prisoners of conscience, to help them survive and bring food to their imprisoned loved ones. The Nica Family Support website (www.nicafamilysupport.org) and Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/people/Nica-Family-Support/100086450460375/) sites take donations and have a sign-up for the mailing list. Sponsor a benefit event in your home. Suggest other fundraising activities for this cause.